Top 10 Qualities of a Great Doctor of Acupuncture
Doctor of Acupuncture, Acupuncture Doctor, Acupuncture Physician…the title may vary from state to state, but for those who practice acupuncture, the qualities needed to be successful remain the same no matter where one is located.
This list names just 10 of the qualities needed to be a great physician in the field of acupuncture:
- 1. Shows Compassion: A good acupuncturist will have a compassionate bedside manner that helps make patients feel comfortable and relaxed. Their empathy and reassuring nature can help alleviate fears a patient may have about needles, as well.
- 2. Has Good Communication Skills: An acupuncturist must have excellent communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with patients from a variety of backgrounds. They must also have the skills to explain new and different concepts, and especially how acupuncture and other elements of Chinese medicine differ from Western medicine.
- 3. Is a Good Listener: Great listening skills are imperative to anyone who works closely with people. Listening is essential to fully grasping the needs of the patient.
- 4. Has a Strong Commitment: Commitment to the study of medicine and to one’s patients is essential. Continuing education and research help keep a physician current in the field, while a commitment to patient care demonstrates that helping to heal the public is a top priority.
- 5. Is Knowledgeable About Health Issues: An acupuncturist should be extremely knowledgeable about different diseases and ailments as well as the many different approaches to treatment. Continuing education is vital in this regard, as well.
- 6. Shows a Positive Attitude: Patients respond best to practitioners who seem happy to be at work and eager to help improve patient health.
- 7. Exemplifies Humility: A good acupuncturist is not afraid to refer a patient to another specialist when the patient’s health problems fall out of the scope of the acupuncturist’s expertise.
- 8. Encourages Patients: Any public health professional should encourage their patients to adopt healthy habits and continually promote good health.
- 9. Is Active in the Community: A physician with a presence in the community demonstrates their commitment to public health and develops a rapport with community members.
- 10. Has the Ability to Handle Pressure: An acupuncturist might find their days extremely full and stressful, and the most successful practitioner is one who can balance a full workload and manage stress.